Monday, October 30, 2006

Oliver twist

The first time I heard this, was on TV, there is this cooking show that is called Oliver Twist (cute guy with a funny accent and nice style of cooking). In one of my visits to landmark, and the usual browsing through classics, I saw this book. I was wondering what it was all about when my friend told me it was a very good book. So, yup you guessed right, I picked it up.

It’s actually a slow book; I have fallen asleep numerous times while reading it. At times I even cussed myself for liking classics!

The story is about this young orphan, who is brought up in the cruelest of conditions, in a typical English country side. It talks of how he escapes the clutches of the middle class people of that times, and reaches London, how he gets cheated in London by a gang of robbers, of the assistance of some elderly gentleman and lady of the upper class, and the change in his luck and finally of his becoming happy and experiencing a much desired and wanted love and affection by the people surrounding him.

It is a book with a typical happy ending, which all of us would want in a book but then, one which makes the book a “typical book”. To me it was a decent read, quite touching at times of Oliver’s misery and happiness but not something that had a “punch” to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment